Things You Should Know About English Language Certificates

There are many certificates of English that helps you learn English and certify that you actually know English. Chances are if you are going abroad to study you will be requested to provide an English language certificate. Since there are many certificates I thought of just listing out a few of them so that it is easier for you to choose from. Some universities request different types of certificates. You don’t want to play around it because they too cost time and money.

Let start with Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). This is an exam aimed at academic usage when you are trying to get in to a university. This is a widely used qualification around the world. This is a computer based exam where there will be parts tested on writing, speaking, listening and reading. The certificate is valid for two years and it may take a few weeks for your results to come.

International English Language Testing System (IELTS), I am sure you must have seen or heard about this English certificate. It is also a widely used certificate around the world. Just like above this too stands as an academic qualification for studying abroad and it is also accepted for certain working permits as well as for immigration. This test is also divided into four parts listening, writing, speaking and reading. Unlike the previous exam where speaking is done by recording IELTS speaking tests are conducted by face to face exam by an examiner. Pearson Test of English is also an exam for speakers of other languages. PTE test courses are similar to that of IELTS and TOEFL where they tests listening, writing, speaking and reading.

There are many learning centers that offer PTE test preparation. The exam is computer based just TOEFL and at the speaking session your voice will be recorded by the computer and sent for marking. You will be able to get the exam results faster than the previous exam which is one advantage. There are other exams such as the Cambridge English Examinations previously known ESOL exams. It has several levels of exams depending on how you want your qualification. This qualification mainly is used for UK universities but also accepted for other universities. However, they are not as popular as the above exams. The other exams that are available are for business related certificates such as TOEIC (Test of English for International Communication) and BEC (Business English Communication). When trying to decide check with your university as to what they require, most of the universities will mention what English certificate they accept.